Sunday 25 October 2009

A Song A Day: #7

Dead chuffed with tonight's effort, the 7th and final song of this whole experiment. I'd reached midnight and was still completely lyricless, though I had some chords for a chorus and a nice melody to go with it. Then I had the idea of writing a song about writing a song every day. I know, I know, but since it was my last one I thought I'd indulge myself. In this version (life translated into pop) the song-a-day thing is a symbol of missing someone you love - hence the chorus:
While my love's away
I'll write a song each day
And pin them to the trees in her neighbourhood
Have you seen this girl
Finest in the world
Please send her back to me
The whole thing is very sweet and innocent, but often that's the hardest kind of song to write (or at least to write well). I'm very proud of it. It also has a proper middle-8, as promised.

So there it is. The full list, in chronological order:

Everybody Makes Their Own Jam
Trains And Sunsets
Maida Vale
Higher Shelf
Miles From Land
I Draw The Line
A Song A Day

As predicted, there are songs in there I'll most likely never return to (except to record them for posterity). In the case of I Draw The Line, I'll probably play it to myself (the guitar part is lovely to play) but not to an audience (especially if that audience includes its subject, who really doesn't deserve to be subjected to it). Some - like tonight's, and Trains And Sunsets - I think stand on their own as some of my best songs. The self-imposed deadlines were fantastic for pushing me to the end of a song, and forcing me to run with ideas I would usually have rejected at an early stage. Every day it would get to the afternoon or evening and I'd worry that I wasn't going to be able to produce anything, but somehow 7 songs materialised (though some are short and runty).

As soon as I get all the gear I need, there will be some musical evidence to go with all this verbiage. Thanks (to whom it may concern) for reading, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment